Re: Buber's professors

[ Martin Buber - Discussions ]

Written by James Peck at 01 Mar 2001 06:45:25:

As an answer to: Buber's professors written by Will at 26 Feb 2001 14:54:05:

Will:

You raise a very interesting question. I have a copy of M. Friedman's "Encounter on the Narrow Ridge," which devotes a couple of pages to Buber's student days in Vienna. It doesn't mention any specific professors, but does say that he attended lectures of Mach. Friedman explains that he was occupied with literature, art history, and philosophy. Friedman gives the impression that Buber was more influenced by Viennese culture than by his studies.

Friedman explains that "during his two semesters at the University of Vienna, Buber attended lectures that left little impression upon him. Even the significant scholarly lectures did not have the same impact as the seminars into which he had prematurely flung himself. Nor was it the content of the siminar that influenced him but the form, the seminar itself."

I know this does not directly answer your question, but I think it implies that Buber's philosophy was not a reaction to some nascent logical positivism he encountered in his studies.

James Peck

>Would anyone know who Buber's philosophy professors were at Vienna? Ernst Mach was there at the time, but I don't know if he lectured for Buber. Since "I and Thou" represents such an antithesis to Logical Positivism, and the Vienna Circle became so influential later on, I was curious if Buber was perhaps writing a vigorous counter-argument to what he was taught.
>Any help on this, or any other info about Buber's opinion of Logical Positivism would be very helpful. =)
>Will

Answers:

[ Martin Buber - Discussions ]