In a youth-institution...

[ Martin Buber - Discussions ]

Written by Lene Langbakk at 23 Apr 2001 16:48:06:

I'm a norwegian soon-to-be socialworker struggling with my final exam. When I read Elemente des Zwischenmenschlichen, I got a clear picture in my head of two "equal" adults. I'm therfore trying to discuss whether or not a real conversatinon (described by Buber) is possible to have, between a teenager in a psyciatric institution (behavioral problems) and a grown-up helper in the same institution. Could I in any way be unprofessional in having such a conversation? Mutuality is necessary he says. But one can not expect that from ones clients. Does that mean that it would be unprofessional of me to have such a conversation with a pasient or is it the other way around. Because I'm profesional I've been trained and have so much general knowledge that I don't have to fear that what I say will be harmfull, and therefore I can allow myself to be vulnerable and give up my need for control? Is it as simple as to really see the other person without judging him and opening up for him to really see me?
I hope someone have some thoughts they want to share with me.
Ha det bra:-)
Lene

Answers:

[ Martin Buber - Discussions ]